Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Cat Fever

I seem to have two days off this week, one of which is normal (I have wednesdays off), but today, I am not working due to my bosses new baby that was ever so recently brought into this world. A Georgia Rose. Aside from this little miracle, as they call it, I am left at home, still, with no paycheck, and too little tolerance for my roommate's cats.

After checking e-mail or visiting facebook at least 70 times throughout the day, and having cats clawing my belly with a meow that asks "can you please only love me and not do anything else right now?" in the tone of a 1 year old, I can only begin to suspect that I have developed, much like cabin fever, "cat" fever. And it's not that I hate the fluffballs, it's just that one minute they're so sweet and cute looking, but the next they're biting or clawing or sneaking into your room when they know they're not supposed. And then you have to chase them out by literally pretending like you're going to make an attack...and then you have have to feel guilty that if your roommate were to see you interact with her cats in such a manner, she might report you to the cat-abuse police.

Really, I think this is a sign that I should think twice about having children if that day comes. Because I'm pretty sure the rage and frustration coupled with the odd need to coddle is pretty similar to thousands of sentiments felt by mothers towards their behavior-challenged children.
I'm exaggerating a bit on the issue, but I think that when I'm in the house for so long with no human interaction, and only cats and facebook to talk to, I get a little loopy. I did manage to do my laundry and go to the gym today, but still, the fever set in. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's more adventurous turns...and hoping my check will arrive so I'll have more than a cheap pair of shoes' worth amount in my banking account.

On a brighter note, I've been practicing my choral music a lot. Oh how I wish I had a real piano to play, but I can't even imagine a piano fitting through our hallway. Next place I live in, no cats, unless chosen by me. Dog, yes. And piano in a room where no sounds will seep through the walls.
Ah, but these are dreams!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You write very well.